top of page

Medical and Travel Insurance

It is compulsory for international students to have appropriate and current medical insurance while studying in New Zealand, regardless of the type of visa held.


This insurance must cover the full period of study.

Students are not able to start their course without the appropriate insurance. We can assist you by purchasing your insurance for you as part of your enrolment, or by recommending insurance companies to you which comply with the Code of Practice 2021.

If you choose for SLEC to arrange your insurance for you, we will do so via Southern Cross. We’ve designed this policy to cover students coming to study in New Zealand and their guardians. Our target market meets the description below.

  • They'll either need a student or guardian visa that allows them to enter New Zealand and they cannot be permanent residents of New Zealand.

  • They won’t be entitled to publicly funded health and disability services.

  • They’ll be aged 55 years or younger at the point the policy is issued.

  • They need comprehensive insurance cover including cover for medical expenses, cancellation and changes to journey, property and liability.

  • They'll need the cover for a period of at least one month and up to two years.

A customer can only buy cover under this policy if they meet all the criteria below.

  • They hold or intend to hold throughout their journey a current visa permitting them to study in New Zealand, or as a parent or legal guardian they hold a ‘Guardian of a Student Visitor’ visa.

They are either:

  • Enrolled at a New Zealand education provider and you regularly attend classes for which they’re enrolled up until the time they submitted a claim or,

  • They haven’t been refused insurance cover, had an insurance claim declined, or had an insurance policy cancelled or voided, because of fraud.

Important things to note regarding other insurance policies include the following:

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health website.

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand. However, you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website.

bottom of page